When your hair is thinning, visiting the salon for a routine trim — or even a blowout — can be stressful. It doesn’t have to be, however; your Aveda Artist can help transform your hair with a few cutting techniques or styling tricks. We spoke to Global Artistic Director for Hair Cutting Ricardo Dinis and Global Artistic Director for Styling Allen Ruiz about their tips, dos and don’ts when it comes to thinning hair.
• Cut in bangs. It immediately shortens and thickens the hair at your hairline. If your hairline is receding, a very deep fringe (starting further up the forehead) may be advisable.
• Add layers either all over, or just in areas where the thinning seems to be the worst.
• Be aware of what’s going on in your life to contribute to hair loss. “A healthy diet can have an impact on how hair, skin, and nails look,” Ricardo says.
• Go for a blunt bob, some graduation, or a shorter look all-over (though you don’t necessarily need to go Pixie). All of these styles make hair look fuller.
• Grab some rollers. For extra volume, Allen recommends heating up a section of the hair, then slipping a Velcro roller under it. Let it cool, then set the body with Control Force™ hair spray.